Sunday, October 19, 2008

Columbus Day!

Last week was very relaxing for the kids and their school work. Kanalu was especially happy. . . he can't stand writing out his vocab words and we reviewed the "an" family (words ending in "an") last week so no need to write lines we just played review games. Kolu loves doing his worksheets. . .last week was the letter Ee and the number 4. He loves it because he gets extra praise from me. . . he always asks, "ok, what's next?" He is an over achiever. . . I am so impressed by how focused he is when he does his school work. He has a hard time focusing when he's in a group setting. . . he's so all over the place in primary at church and when we have reading time at home. I'm grateful I've found out what makes him focus and stay on task. . . one on one attention is what he needs. And then there's Keiko who really wants in on the school work. . . I have her sit in her high chair and color in her coloring book or write in her Tinkerbell journal with her Tinkerbell pencil. She'll make a mark in her journal then say, "I did it!!!" She is so funny.Because last week Monday was Columbus Day the entire week was devoted to learning about Christopher Columbus.
We learned his story.
We colored a map and traced the direction of his voyage.
We sang a song to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb. . .

"Columbus sailed the ocean blue, ocean blue, ocean blue.
Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
Columbus sailed the ocean blue, ocean blue, ocean blue.
I enjoy making discoveries too.
How about you?"

We made some cute snacks with apple wedges, a tooth pick and a piece of cheese. . . voila the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.
And we did some coloring worksheets. I had some other activities planned (I always over plan just in case I have tons of energy to exude) but I was just way too tired this past week.

How many pictures does it take to finally get one that both boys are smiling nicely. . . 5! They're so GOOFY.

We're still not done with our pumpkin studies from a week ago. . . due to not being able to get to the pumpkin patch after 4 tries but finally making it there this past Friday. I'll be posting that tomorrow after we finish decorating our pumpkins. We had loads of fun. I love pumpkin season!

Our little pumpkin will be here in 3 days!!! WHoooooo HOOOO!

luvs and kisses kakou!

6 comments:

  1. Hi guys! It's so nice to hear from you! Your kids are getting so big. Congratulations on the upcoming baby! I'm glad you have a blog so we can keep in touch! Love & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness the countdown on the lil pumpkin arriving is so soon! I loved all of their learning styles and love the baby enjoys journaling, too. we love pumpkin season as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can not believe that you are having a baby in three days that is so crazy you will have your hands full. Congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! You are such a good teacher! What lucky kiddies you have. I am exctited about baby number 4! How are you feeling? Love ya! T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck today! I hope all is well. Can't wait to meet sweet L. {At least a cyber meet}

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!!