Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today came and went.

This morning like every other morning Kanalu complained about school. . . this time I was fed up and just kept him home and did lessons at home. . . even grocery shopping became a lesson in math for him. He was not going to get away with not learning. He is just having the worst time adjusting to the first grade. . . he even could care less about having friends at school (he has several but doesn't care to go to school just to spend time with them). Very much like his mother and father he is a chatter box and is constantly being reminded to be quiet. . . he's even been kept from recess because he just talks too much. He really dislikes his teacher and I keep asking him what goes on that makes him not like her and he says that she yells at the kids too much.

So today while we were doing lessons and he wasn't paying attention, I yelled at him and then asked him if his teacher is louder than I am and he said, "no you're louder". . . I was like hello you have it better at school with your teacher. I believe his reasoning is that he knows that I love him so he puts up with me yelling at him, ahhh the love of a child.

Anyways, we had the most productive day. . . like when I was doing daycare. Now that Kanalu is older he helps out tons more with chores. . . let me tell you there was no computer or xbox time allowed today. . . he was not going to have his kind of fun. He followed all of my rules and stuck to my schedule.

First thing after breakfast we went grocery shopping. . . I made him add oz. on cereal boxes. He learned what a dozen is and how many eggs are in two dozen. He learned how many jugs of milk equals two gallons. He then helped me load the car up when we were done and then unload the car when we got home.

We got home and put stuff away and then started lessons. He had one hour of writing and reading. Then another 1/2 hour of math (since we did some math at the store) after we had a snack, which we ate outside. Then he made his own lunch after a short play time (left over spaghetti, he dished it out then warmed it up in the microwave.) After lunch he had a half hour quiet time. I folded clothes and he and Kolu put the clothes away. Kanalu sorted the socks and I put them together after he matched them then he put them away. Then Kanalu emptied the bathroom trash and then cooked rice (all new chores for him. . . his only chore was to clean the toilet once every month pretty much). The best part was that he was happy to do it all and felt needed and important while doing it.

Now Piko and I have a dilemma at hand. . . do we or do we not home school him? We've prayed about it and are still weighing out the odds. Piko's concerns are that I have too much on my plate already and that Kanalu needs to learn to work with people other than his family. My concern is that I want Kanalu to love to learn and I don't want this school year to ruin it for him because he doesn't like his strict teacher. I know I can home teach him because I'm already doing preschool at home for Bubba. After all, I've worked with special ed resource kids for 2 years and did day care for one year so I can rely on the training I've had with that. . . socialization is easy we have tons of friends in the neighborhood and I have one friend who home schools her kids so we can do field trips together. Honestly. . . school work only takes 3 hours max because Nalu is my only first grade student that I need to tend to. . . Bubba's school work only takes an hour cuz he's just in preschool. . . the only reason why public school is so long is because there are so many students to care for in one class that most of the time is wasted on calming the class and prepping for every little activity. And in Utah I have all power over how I plan my curriculum. He just has to pass state tests to either get back into public school or graduate.

We'll see what happens. . . it probably sounds like I'm convinced to keep him home but I really am not. . . I'm completely torn. . . I love that he goes to school and meets different people and is being taught by someone other than me. I think it builds character. However, I am a strong believer that self confidence in a child stems from the time parents spend teaching and understanding their child.

I've been so lazy lately that this has ignited a fire under my tush to get things done the way I want it to be and stop being so complacent with how things already are. . . by nature I am very annal and organized but I've chosen to let things slip behind and BLAH because I irritate myself with my true nature and I'm embarrassed about being bossy and obsessive with having things in order.

So now I'm also dealing with myself. . . do I unleash the beast or do I just sit back and enjoy the ride? Ahhh, I shall answer my own question. . . I find a balance between both.

Now back to the original question. . . home school or public school? Please stay tuned for the outcome.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!...You go mom! Sounds like you are a great teacher. I think if it was me, I would say, "Get to school!" No sympathy :). I love how the boys were so helpful at home. You weren't pulling teeth or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd be a great teacher, BUT I'll have to agree with Piko-lani on this one...you already have tons in your Bento Box...you are having a baby in a few weeks (or days..who knows right?) and you'll need to focus on healing after that. Send Da Boy to school; he'll have teachers that are strict and some that are nice and it'll all work out, you'll see, BUT if it doesn't next year, then Home School next year, that way you guys can go beach whenevah you like, you no gotta wait til he come home from Waianae Elementary...hehehehe...:) Love You!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!!