I've mulled over this decision. . . prayed for direction with Piko about it and our final decision is to home school him. I hate seeing Nalu depressed and hating something that I feel is so important in life. . . learning! We've talked with him about his situation at school for over three weeks now and when we think the problem is solved it starts all over again.
Today he went to school and he had a better day but wasn't excited about it. (I later found out from him that he was kept in for first recess because he was being rowdy in class with another child, what a distraction for the rest of the class and the teacher. Hopefully with him at home the other students will have a better chance of learning more.) I was so sad and bored without him at home too. . . I wanted to continue his lessons and do fun projects with him while cleaning and cooking with him and Bubba (Bubba's preschool lessons go so fast that I'm picking my nose after 20 mins. of watching him having fun learning).
Like I said in the last post, I am a strong believer that a child gains self confidence from the quality time he/she spends learning with his/her parents. I feel that my children will do a lot better with learning if I deal with them more consistently one on one learning and developing skills to live and become self motivated and reliant. I think they'll learn better study habits that'll prepare them for college. I'm so excited to do this for my children. . . I have no worries about socialization or whatever other's may worry about. . . my kids are not shy at all and they are go getters and no one encourages them more than Piko and me.
Here's an article I read on the Utah Home Education Association website link
. I was thoroughly impressed by what this mother had to say . . . I needed no more convincing that we are doing the right thing for our family but it just solidified what we already decided.
I need to call my friend who also home schools her kids to plan a field trip soon. I feel like I have new meaning in my life for some strange reason. . . considering I've been putting off my degree in Elem. Edu. for how long now because I've been popping out child after child for the past six years now.
After all that we accomplished yesterday (the kiddies and I) Piko is convinced that I can handle and that I really don't have as much on my plate as he thinks I do. And he says that we'll save $$$$ on gas because I have to drive Nalu to and from school daily. . . loading and unloading the other 2 soon to be 3 kiddies twice a day. . . I'd walk but I'm about to pop so that's just not possible and soon the snow will be here and I just can't imagine walking on ice with a double stroller and holding the hand of my toddler. Really it's more of a convenience to home school Nalu than anything. To add to that, I know his jeans will last longer because I won't let him slide on his knees during recess making holes in them and that'll save $$$ too, heehee and with the $$$ we save we'll be able to afford to send him to Karate or Judo. Piko is also excited for me to add Hawaiiana to our curriculum. . . something he won't get in any public school unless we're in Hawaii and that won't be for a while.
I really am not the kind of mom that just caves into her child's whims and fancies. . . I usually tell them to suck it up and do it. Since we've made this decision to home school I did tell Kanalu to suck it up and deal because Piko and I made this decision together and he will not go back to public school until we tell him that he needs to go back. . . we decide the future of our family not him or any of our other children, but we do consider them in our decisions.
And don't fret about me ya'll, I'll be just fine. . . I'll be less stressed and happier to be of service because I'll have more time on my hands due to the fact that I won't be running around trying to get kids to school and then to the store and then to lessons after school and then to church and then to wherever while trying to get them all ready to go here and there and everywhere. And the new baby's nursing schedule won't be interrupted by needing to take and pick up Nalu from school. I used to think that sending Kanalu to school was a break for me but after yesterday and all the stuff we accomplished around the house. . . when Piko got home from work I had so much more free time I didn't know what to do with myself.
I'm excited. . . can you tell? We had no cons left after we prayed about our decision just pros and that's what confirmed our decision was the right one for our family!
When you have an answer that you feel strongly about then you know it's right! Good luck with the learning. You are a great mom.
ReplyDeleteI give you all the props ever I think that I would go crazy at home with Aubrie but that is because she is me to a tee and that is crazy. You will do a great job.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you have to make this decision and not me. I think that I would have to be totally and absolutely organized to even attempt homeschooling! I am glad Mia has a great teacher this year (lucky for us she is also in our ward and an awesome chick)! I hope that you get your answer and I know you are an awesome mom and teacher! love you girl! KD:)
ReplyDeleteif you and Piko took your answers to the Lord and feel totally awesome about it then Amen Sistah..and on to Home Schooling!! And on to having that baby girlie :)
ReplyDeleteI used to think the same way as most of you that I would never home teach my kids. I felt I didn't have the patience. But now that I've tried it I love it and am learning about my kids on a whole other level. I just found out that my neighbor home teaches her 4 boys and is having a blast doing it too. She too thought she wouldn't have the patience to do it but she's loving it now.
ReplyDeleteWow!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great opportunity you have! I dont think I'd be able to keep my head together!
I will pray for you! Nah... nah
just kidding.... Sounds like your doing great already!
You are an amazing mom, and your kids will truly be blessed. My sister did middle school at home, well through the internet, and loved it. That is great that you have other families around that are also doing home school, as your kids can get together and do things together. I was talking with someone at church last Sunday, he is a teacher in middle school. He was telling me some crazy stories that he has to deal with. I think with they way the world is going, I might strongly consider home schooling Peyton when she starts school.
ReplyDelete