Thursday, March 27, 2008

Iosepa

There is a piece of Hawaii really here in Utah. Not meaning the many Hawaiians that live here or the Hawaiian Cultural Center that is almost two years old now but an old piece of Hawaii. Way back in the days after the Mormon Pioneers settled Utah during the building of the Salt Lake Temple a group of Hawaiians arrived to help with the construction of the temple and to partake of the blessings of attending the temple once it was completed.

The Hawaiians picked their own little place to settle in Skull Valley. . . it reminded them of the dry desert west side of all the islands and they could see the Great Salt Lake in the distance that reminded them of the ocean. The LDS church helped them fund and build a little settlement that became a ranch and farm. They made it beautiful and raised enough food and live stalk to feed the settlement but not enough to sell commercially. Because the Settlement was not making enough money and many of the Hawaiians were dying of small pox and influenza the ranch was sold and many of the people returned to Hawaii. Most of these people settled in Laie and helped build the temple there.

Iosepa 2007 032Iosepa 2007 054Iosepa 2007 079


Today there is a memorial cemetery that we go to every Memorial Day weekend to celebrate the lives of the people who once lived there. We have a big luau on the Saturday before Memorial Day when many hula halaus and other polynesian groups perform. It is such a wonderful place. . . not because of the environment. . . it is dusty and desert. . . but because of the fun we have with the many friends and families that come from near and far to join us in this celebration. I love Iosepa. . . it is one of the places I have in Utah that keeps me from missing Hawaii too much. It is a place that contains the ALOHA Spirit.

I write about this wonderful place because I'm so excited to go again this year. I know I have two months to go but I'll spend these two months prepping for it! I've got Iosepa on my mind and it over ruled our fun Easter weekend. We had a great weekend. I'll blog about it tomorrow. I've been feeling yucky lately so that's why you haven't seen a blog from me for a while.

So who's coming to Iosepa this year to join us in some fun!????

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could go with you. When do you leave? We will be in Utah in July from the 8-16th. If you are there throw a party for me...i've got 3 that i'm doing already...tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is really cool...i did not know that about Utah. Hawaii is much prettier I think though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so we sooooo wanna be there, but not sure if we can get over there since Aaron is going to be in WY for his internship from the second week of May...but maybe, just maybe...especially since we get our old school camper trailer now!!! WoooooHoooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that either, But man we would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can make it Memorial day Weekend to Iosepa Utah please come. The more the merrier! We just let the kids run wild and eat and sing until we sleep.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!!