I was thinking about how free I feel when I'm at home. . . to be able to look out into the ocean and breath in the fresh fragrant air. To be able to go beach when ever we want to and eat shave ice year round without feeling cold. To step outside in the middle of December without worry of putting on snow clothes. That's freedom to me. To only have to drive for a maximum of 2 hours to get to the farthest end of the island. To be able to wear rubbah slippahs every day. To have a mango tree in my back yard. To eat Portuguese sausage, eggs and rice at McDonalds. To pick up a spam musubi at 7-11. That's freedom to me.
Gas prices don't bother me. . . cuz it's expensive everywhere! The cost of milk don't bother me. . . cuz I no like milk. Being stuck on a rock don't bother me. . . cuz being surrounded by land is more confining to me than anything.
I miss the people. I miss falling asleep to my neighbor playing music all night and singing with his drinking buddies. I miss the smell of the salt from the ocean on the breeze. I miss the warmth of the sun. I miss real luaus with real entertainment. I miss the sound of the cock crowing early in the morning. I miss green mountains. I miss plumaria trees. I miss eating at a L&Ls that all the food taste different. . . . here they put the same sauce on everything. I miss the sound of the gecko clicking. I miss the food. I miss my family and friends. I miss the ALOHA spirit.
On the down side. . . I dont' miss the ants and mosquitos oooooooow and cockroaches. I don't miss the sweaty days. I don't miss the neighbor's nasty dirty yard. . . with plenty old rusty cars parked on what used to be a lawn. I don't miss the traffic. I don't miss the large influence of drugs and alcohol (then again that's everywhere in the world now days). That's all . . . wow the things I miss out number the things I don't. That tells me that moving back to Hawaii is well worth it for me one day.
I will make the best of where we are right now but never lose sight of my Hawaii. We're going to two family reunions on Kauai in July and then to Oahu for fun. I'm so excited. I must start my list of places I like eat at! GRACE'S here I come. . . please tell me you're still there!
wow Kanoe you make me miss Hawaii and I have never been there. I think our hearts always return home, and feel bad that my husband lives far from his. Maybe someday we will make a change:)
ReplyDelete