Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What are you thinking... CLOTH DIAPERS?!!!

Here's a little story all about how Piko's life got flipped...turned up-side-down.

I used to care for a baby whose mother used cloth diapers for environmental reasons... she even used a diaper service that laundered and delivered the diapers to her. I thought she was crazy (there's more to that thought but we won't get into that) for using cloth diapers but as time went by and I continued to care for her daughter I realized it really wasn't that difficult and if I'd just purchased want I needed and laundered my own stuff it would be cheaper. So I did.

Kanalu and Bubba [Kolu] were both in diapers at the same time. So when I went to using cloth we saved about $50 a month...however...Piko would have rather spent the $... he hates changing soggy, yucky,stinky diapers. In fact it took him weeks after Nalu was born to change a poopie dispoable. He flat out refused to help me in my effort to save $$$... mind you Airmen make less than school teachers so we are on a very tight budget. So I was on my own as far as changing and cleaning diapers.

What I purchased added up to be 3 months worth of disposable diapers for two babies.

I use pre folded diapers, Gerber plastic pants and some other diaper covers called Bummis (I like plastic pants better they keep the wet away from me).
And for nasty poopies... I have this sprayer that attaches to the toilet's plumbing and I just spray the nasties off of the diaper and into the toilet and flush it.
When I showed Piko this he was a little more willing to help.

I love this newer invention... no need to worry about pins poking my baby... there is this great thing called a Snappi. It has 3 claw clasps that grip onto the diaper and the stretchy rubber middle holds the diaper snuggly onto the baby.

I stopped using cloth diapers when I became a certified Air Force child care provider. The Air Force doesn't approve of cloth diapers in child care homes so I even had to force my inspiration to cloth diapering to use disposables while in my care... which made caring for six children a lot easier but potty training Bubba a pain... Nalu went straight from cloth to underwear before I had to stop using cloth.

I stopped doing daycare six months into being pregnant with Keiko. When Keiko was born I started using cloth diapers again until we moved into our own home and Piko went outta town for training I stopped again.

Now we have two in diapers again so Keiko wears cloth diapers and Lynea is in disposables until she's a bit bigger (cross my fingers Keiko will be potty trained by then... she's wanting to go potty already.)

FYI: we use disposables when we go out... don't wanna be carrying around a stinky cloth diaper when shopping or at church. Piko still can't stand cloth diapers and when he's home alone with the kids he'll put Keiko into a disposable diaper. To be honest I can't stand 'em too but I'll do whatever I can to save a couple dollars!

So now I'm even more crazy to most of you because I not only home school my kids but I use cloth diapers too. Let me tell yah, if something happens in this world and there is no school or disposable diapers I'll be prepared.

[Below are a few digi scrap pages I made using premade pages from the various sites I have posted in my side bar... I just tweeked 'em a bit to add a little of me in 'em.]




13 comments:

  1. She's Beautiful!!!!
    I had cloth diapers with my first. I think it just got convenient with the rest to do disposable...but the cloth make really great dust clothes and car wash rags when your done using them!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yuck you are a better woman then I. I am all about pampers and huggies. Good to know that someone is helping with the go green movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on ya...I am really thinking of doing it....but with the smell right now affecting me...maybe later! But way to make that $50 stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I think I'm now almost done with the diapering phase of life, but you make it sound like cloth could have been do-able! :-)

    (Thanks for the plug!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looooove the pics of baby sleeping..with brother even!! and you not crazy!!...you friggen Awesome!!!!! I wish I could be that awesome but I too lazy okole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures! I have a friend who loves cloth diapers. I didn't realize they could save you that much money! I also didn't realize you home schooled your kids! How long have you done that for?? Do you remember when I was trying to decide if I should do that?

    ALso thank you so much for the roll recipes (both of them) You don't have any pani popo recipes do you?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already knew you were crazy! But more power to you. If you can do it, I say go for it. What you can handle and what I can handle are two different things. Doesn't make you crazy for doing it your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Im scrolling down your blog and checking up on the fam and I see my card blog on there! You are too kind to support me. What a great friend you are. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cloth diapers and home schooling you really are amazing. I have played with the idea of home schooling for years, but have not been inspired to do it as of yet so...

    I really enjoyed this post! Very interesting and great spray thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. with my first child I started out using cloth-UNTIL the terrible thing happened...I had her skin in the diaper pen! YIKES! YES, I DID! I NEVER USED THEM AGAIN from that DAY FORWARD! BUT, I will have to tell you that you sound like you have really got the hook up going on with the cloth diapers! KUDOS to you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH YEAH, and I LOVE the layouts! They are so DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like cloth too, until they do number TWO! I don't use pull ups or anything like that when potty training. I use the thick cloth undies and rubber pants. It trains them faster. We never had the two kids in diapers so, Mr. Incredible won out with the disposable. I do like the cloth diapers especially when home. They feel so much softer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the layouts and love the pictures! what size diapers do they both wear?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!!