Here is how Piko and I fell for each other.
Where we met?
We met at the Polynesian Cultural Center. . . Piko and a bunch of his Freshmen friends were going through the center and came through the Hawaiian Village for some poi and that was the first time I ever saw him but we really didn't speak to each other until a pool party at BYU-H and he swam over to me and my friend Kahala because he was checking her out. . . along with everyone else. . . and I was so annoyed because he was so weird. He was cracking stupid jokes and laughing loud like a donkey. The worst part was that Kahala thought he was hot. . . and all I could think was, "what a weirdo". Then I met him officially when I was with my best friend Mernette. We were coming outta the Seasider, the campus restaurant, and there was Piko. . . Mernette says. . . "Eh, I know you. Where you from and what your name?" Piko says, "oh, um Aiea and my name Wayne." Mernette says. . . "no lie, your name Kaupiko hah." I started cracking up. Come to find out Mernette knew Piko when they lived on Kauai and she used to pick on him when they were small kids. So naturally Piko didn't want to talk to her. I will never forget that moment it was classsic.
First thing we said?
So the first time we actually talked to each other was when we had practice for culture night. I was in the hula section and he was in the Tahitian, Cook Islands, and Maori sections. We'd see each other every night that we had practice and the trouble maker that I am. . . I saw him across the ways and yelled, "Eh, how's it Kaupiko?" After that we just made it a habit to say hi every time we saw each other.
First date?
This has to go after the first kiss. . . but I'll tell you about our first and only real date. . . we just don't date, never did and never will. . . Piko took me to the Seasider for some ice cream. I got rocky road on a cone and he got mint chocolate chip on a cone too. So we were sitting down talking outside at about 9:30pm and I ate my ice cream up fast as he was talking. I looked over at him and his ice cream was melting down the side of the cone. And the pig that I am with absolutely no shame asked, "Are you going to eat that?" and he said, "No I don't like ice cream." Ahhh that was just hilarious. So he gave me his ice cream and I ate it up just as fast as I ate my first one. I just wished it was another flavor because I'm not a fan of mint chocolate chip.
First kiss?
So before our first date we hooked up after the big Culture Night performance. I was walking my friend Heather back to the dorms and I saw Piko sitting on the wall on the way there. So Heather just walked away from me while saying good night preparing the moment for Piko and me to be alone. After talking for a while he walked me home to my house off campus. So many things happened that are quite funny before I finally planted one on him but you'd have to come over to my house for dinner to get the details. Anyways, yes. . . I kissed him first. . . what can I say I go after what I want when I want it! We only lasted two weeks after our first kiss for reasons that you need to come over my house for dinner to hear the whole story!
Where engaged?
9 days after I got off serving a mission on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, I returned to Salt Lake City just before Christmas to visit my Piko (his mother moved to SLC while he was on a mission in Mexico City). I got off of the plane at about 11:30 pm and there he was waiting for me in the Salt Lake International Airport. While we embraced he whispered a really corny poem to me and I didn't know whether to laugh because it was so corny or cry because he was proposing. . . I chose to cry eventually because I didn't want to hurt his feelings until weeks later when I told him how silly that poem was. . . needless to say he's never written me a poem since; thank goodness, stick to golf hun!
Where married?
We were married in the Salt Lake City Temple. . . yes I served my mission in that area and I got married there. Some of my old mission buddies attended my sealing. How funny is that?! My mission President was one of our witnesses. It was a glorious day. . . one that I'll never forget and one that has gone down in my book as one of the best days in my life.
Where honeymooned?
We were given the option of going on a cruise after our wedding or having 3 months of our rent paid for and we took the rent! What can I say we're sensible. . . sounds boring but trust me our lives are far from boring!
If you read this TAG you're it! Post your love story on your blog now.
I would have taken the rent for 3 months too!:) Good story, my husband would love to talk to you guys...he is OBSESSED with Polynesian culture!:) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love that story. It is the classic romance novel. First there is annomosity then immense passion then distance and finally reconciliation. You should right a romance Kanoe!
ReplyDelete